Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Beginning

He walked into the copy room while I was making copies. He's kind of "there" a lot.  Nothing wrong with that, but I feel a little awkward around Him sometimes.  It's because of our past.  A long time ago.  Nothing really, but just me crying on His shoulder during some hard times. 

"I'm almost finished," I tell Him.

He sits down and waits a few minutes as I finish.

"Are you running off?" He asks me.

"Nay.  I have to get a few things ready to take to the printers."  I sit at the table across from where  He was sitting as He loads the copy machine.  Then he sits down across from me.

"So how are things?  Are you happy with your husband?"  He asks me this sometimes.  It's like the relationship status.  I don't know why he does that.

"I guess," I dodged his question.  "When are you getting married?"  He's engaged, but it's been a long engagement.  

He gets an exhausted look on his face.  "She's putting the pressure on real heavy."  I know her.  She's nice.  

"How long have you been together?"

He thinks back.  It's been almost five years.  "Yea, we got together not long after I found out you were married."

Double-take.  What?

"I had the biggest crush on you.  Why do you think I was around all the time?"

"Your storage room was in my classroom?"

"Come on, really?  You really thought I needed that many books?  No.  I wanted to ask you out, and then I found out you were married.  When I found out you were going to be next door to me this year, I though, here we go. This should be interesting."

"I don't know.  Really?  You liked me?  And here I've been embarrassed for being such a blubbering fool.  You were such a nice friend to me.  I'll never forget that."

Wait a minute.  He is still thinking stuff?  Years later, and he might be interested?  Wow.  That's food for thought.  What am I suppose to do with that?

A fire ignited inside me at the thought of Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following along.